Reports from the area report near complete change and to just past peak conditions with bright shades of red mixed in with oranges and yellows. Wind and rain have brought many leaves down, but it’s not over yet.
We had some incredible color over the weekend. When we say it’s “transitioning fast” we had no idea how fast, but fast and glorious it was. But don’t fret, there is still time to catch some amazing, dramatic light, color and views this upcoming week.
The recent weather has ranged from humid, warm, balmy, to a night or two of frost which elevated the leaves into speedy and vibrant color change. With these colder overnight temps, warm days and a drought we got some outstanding colors this past weekend with more to come.
Yes we’ve had some rain and wind, so we do have foliage already falling at a rapid clip, but there are more leaves to be seen!
With that said, … it’s not over! There are still trees yet to turn. We have bold yellows and oranges still to emerge and some stubborn maples just changing over now, having held on to their green for oh that much longer.
There is still time to catch the beauty of it all this upcoming weekend. With colder temps, and sunshine predicted, layer up in your best woodsy fashion gear and start exploring!
Weekend Weather Outlookr:
50% / 0.11 in
Cloudy with occasional rain showers. High near 55F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
20% / 0 in
Considerable cloudiness. High 52F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph
20% / 0 in
Partly cloudy skies in the morning will give way to cloudy skies during the afternoon. High 54F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
Things to Do While Staying in Long Lake
1. Visit Buttermilk Falls just outside of Long Lake on North Point Road.
2. Saturday, October 3rd, Octo-BEAR-Fest at Hoss’s Country Corner, Cancer Fundraiser. Vendors, Food sold, live music.
3. Custards Last Stand Ice Cream
4. Friday Lobster Roll at the ADK Trading Post
5. Drink and Dinner specials from the Long View, Adirondack Hotel, Long Lake Diner and The Cellar Restaurant and Pub
6. Visit the Wild Center in Tupper Lake
7. Visit Hoss’s Country Corner and see the tree growing in the store.
8. Group photos at the Long Lake Town Beach
9. Drive down Sabattis Road and North Point Road for back roads.
10. Go HIKING! Coney Mountain, Sargents Ponds, Castle Rock, Ferds Bog, Death Brook Falls, Sagamore Lake, Mt. Sabattis click here for more hiking info
11. Visit Raquette Lake Village and take a step back in time.
Please note: All local busineses require masks inside and all social distancing protocols and safety plans are enacted at all area lodgings, dining, and retail establishments. Plenty of activities to do outside, just layer up and if you forget something, pop into Hoss’s or Northern Borne for some additional gear.